Friday, April 15, 2011

Caregiver Role Reversal

The contents of my friend's  weekly email exchange read: 
"...one of my mom’s caregivers had a fall last week and dislocated her shoulder.  She’s not much older than I am but she has a very sedentary life and she seems in much worse shape than my mother.  Our church group has been having to bathe her, cook and drive for her.  I had her here for dinner and my mother was taking care of her and cutting her food….she felt great to be the caregiver for a change and she loved it.  Anyway, it got me thinking about taking better care of myself and not giving in to old age."
     . This reminds me of my mother, 98, who is every bit the hostess she always has been.  From her senior living apartment she is eager to share her bounty of yogurt, bottled water, bananas, or sweets.  She can readily replace a banana from the community's basket in the lobby or ask for one in the dining room.  Readily translates to walking what seems greater distances with a walker after hip surgery.  What continues to inspire you in the actions of courageous elders?

No comments: