Thursday, December 01, 2011

Rightly Compassionate

 Though staying away from media is known to improve one's health, this example of compassion begs to be shared for those interested in the welface of all.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GA_EVICTION_OF_103_YEAR_OLD_GAOL-?SITE=GAGAI&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Elders looking after elders, time again trying to do the next best thing, struggling with extended life, an economy gone beserk - or is it the lack of leadership from both sides of the aisle.   Shouting matches, rolled eyes prevent arms to reach out or ears to listen as they are meant to do.

 This photo reminds me of my father's pharmacy he purchased in 1939, the year of my birth.  How fortunate I was to be told all my life that  I was his good luck charm.  Three minute conversations between my dad and his customers when they came to pick up their prescriptions did more for each other's soul than any chemical concoction.  Dr. Swartz, they used to call him.   What would my dad have done, in his 60 years of serving the public if he learned of these women's plight, if they came into the store or shared their plight when he made a delivery?  What would you do?  What can we do at the grass roots level.

Yesterday I went for my dental hygiene appointment.   Near the end the hygenist remarked, "This isn't easy for you, is it?"   My response was, "Actually I was thinking of a pair of black tennis shoes."  She said, "You're kidding! Why?"  "To go with my black warm-up suit."  "Treat yourself.   I bought all my Christmas presents and told my husband to wrap them", she said with a laugh.   How insensitve that sounded to me who preferred to spend $400 on my grandchildren's presents instead of meeting obligations of tree removal.  Every life has a story.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v0RhvZ3lvY

What better gift than one of listening, holding a hand, asking "How can I help you.  Can I bring something from the store," or share a home-cooked meal from your heart.  Not only at Christmas, Chanukah, or Kawanza, but throughout the year.   Writing in gratitude, humbled, and seeking your perspective.


No comments: